- Professor and Co-Director, Institute of Political Economy, University of Bern, 1998-
- Member of the Foundation Board, Study Center Gerzensee, 2009-
- Research Fellow, Center for Economic Policy Research (CEPR)
- Co-Editor, Open Economies Review
- Associate Editor, Journal of Money Credit and Banking
- Visiting Scholar, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, 2014- , Federal Reserve Bank of St Louis, 2013-, Bank of Greece, 2016-
- Ph.D. (1985) University of Rochester
- B.A. (1980) Athens School of Economics and Business (Greece)
Some recent publications:
- Business Cycle Anatomy (with GM. Angeletos and F. Collard), American Economic Review, forthcoming.
- The Dog that Didnt Bark: The Curious Case of Lloyd Mints, Milton Friedman and the Transformation of the Chicago Quantity-Theory Tradition (with G. Tavlas), History of Political Economy (HOPE), forthcoming
- “Quantifying Confidence” (with GM. Angeletos and F. Collard), Econometrica, 86(5), Sept 2018, 1689-1726.
- “Optimal monetary and prudential policies” (with F. Collard, B. Diba, and O. Loisel), American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, 9 (1), January 2017, 40-87.
- ” Sovereign debt with heterogeneous creditors” (with D. Niepelt), Journal of International Economics, 99 (1), March 2016, S16-S26.
- “Fiscal multipliers in recessions,” (with M. Canzoneri, F. Collard and B. Diba), Economic Journal, 125 (590), February 2016, 75-108.
Some recent working papers:
- Public Debt as Private Liquidity: Optimal Policy (with GM. Angeletos and F. Collard), R&R, Journal of Political Economy.
- Austerity (with D. Niepelt), R&R, Economic Journal.
- Fiscal distress and Banking Performance: The Role of Macro-prudential Regulation (with H. Balfoussia and D. Papageorgiou).